Dr. Bhuvan Unhelkar
Professor of Information Technology; Principal IT/Business Consultant)
Dr. Bhuvan Unhelkar (BE, MDBA, MSc, PhD, FACS) has extensive strategic and hands-on professional experience in the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) industry. He is a full Professor and lead faculty of IT at the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (USFSM), and is the founder and Consultant at MethodScience and PlatiFi. He is also an adjunct Professor at Western Sydney University, Australia and an honorary Professor at Amity University, India. His current industrial research interests include AI and ML in Business Optimization, Big Data and business value and Business Analysis in the context of Agile. Dr. Unhelkar holds a Certificate-IV in TAA and TAE, Professional Scrum Master – I, SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprise) Leader and is a Certified Business Analysis Professional® (CBAP of the IIBA).
Dr. Unhelkar’s areas of expertise include:
• Big Data Strategies: BDFAB – with an emphasis on applying Big Data technologies and analytics to generate business value
• Artificial Intelligence & Business Optimization
• Agile Processes: CAMS – practical application of composite Agile to real life business challenges not limited to software projects
• Business Analysis & Requirements Modeling: Use Cases, BPMN, and BABOK; helping organizations up-skill and apply skills in practice
• Software Engineering: UML, Object Modeling; includes undertaking large-scale software modeling exercises for solutions development
• Corporate Agile Development: Up-skilling teams and applying Agile techniques to real-life projects and practice
• Quality Assurance & Testing: with focus on prevention rather than traditional detection
• Collaborative Web Services: SOA, Cloud; upgrading Enterprise Architectures based on services including developing Analytics-as-a-Service
• Mobile Business and Green IT: with the goal of creating and maintaining sustainable business operations
His industry experience includes banking, finance, insurance, government and telecommunications where he develops and applies Industry-Specific Process Maps, Business Transformation Approaches, Capability Enhancement and Quality Strategies.
Dr. Unhelkar has authored numerous executive reports, journal articles and 25 books with internationally reputed publishers including Outcome Driven Business Architecture (Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, USA, 2019), Software Engineering with UML (Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, USA, 2018) and Big Data Strategies for Agile Business (Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, USA, 2017). Cutter executive reports (Boston, USA) including Psychology of Agile (two parts), Agile Business Analysis (two parts), Collaborative Business & Enterprise Agility, Avoiding Method Friction and Agile in Practice-a Composite Approach. He is also passionate about coaching senior executives, training, re-skilling and mentoring IT & Business professionals, forming centers of excellence and creating assessment frameworks (SFIA-based) to support corporate change initiatives.
Dr. Unhelkar is an engaging presenter delivering keynotes, training seminars and workshops that combine real-life examples based on his experience, with audience participation and Q&A sessions. These industrial training courses, seminars and workshops add significant value to the participants and their sponsoring organizations because the training is based on practical experience, a hands-on approach and accompanied by ROI metrics. Consistently ranked high by participants, the seminars and workshops have been delivered globally to business executives and IT professionals in Australia, USA, Canada, UK, China, India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Singapore. Dr. Unhelkar is the winner of the IT Writer Award (2010), Consensus IT Professional Award (2006) and Computerworld Object Developer Award (1995), and. He also chaired the Business Analysis Specialism Group of the Australian Computer Society.
Dr. Unhelkar earned his PhD in the area of “object orientation” from the University of Technology, Sydney. His teaching career spans both undergraduate and masters level wherein he has designed and delivered courses including Global Information Systems, Agile Method Engineering, Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Business Process Reengineering, New Technology Alignment in Australia, USA, China and India. Online courses designed and delivered include: Australian Computer Society’s distance education program, the M.S. University of Baroda (India) Masters program and, currently, Program Design with the UML and Mobile App Development at the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee, USA.
At the Western Sydney University, he supervised seven successful PhD candidates, and published research papers and case studies.Professional affiliations include:
• Fellow of the Australian Computer Society (elected to this prestigious membership grade in 2002 for distinguished contribution to the field of information and communications technology), Australia
• IEEE Senior Member, Tampa Chapter, USA
• Life member of the Computer Society of India (CSI), India
• Life member of Baroda Management Association (BMA), India
• Member of Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS), USA
• Rotarian (Past President) at Sarasota Sunrise club, USA; Past President Rotary club in St.Ives, Sydney (Paul Harris Fellow; AG), Australia
• Discovery volunteer at NSW parks and wildlife, Australia
• Previous TiE Mentor, Australia